Saturday, March 30, 2013

Primum non nocere


Day 111  

General status update

Fatigue/weakness: Immense. All-enveloping.

Eyes: it’s a good thing I know this vision problem is a chemo side effect, because otherwise I’d be thinking that I was starting to go blind.

Anxiety level/insane euphoria (+/- 1-10,000): far too tired to be anxious, and the euphoria waits on Thursday’s Dexy delivery.

Nausea demon: Away. With the Benedictine monks at Worth Abbey. Learning how to do Gregorian chant. Allegedly. By strange coincidence, StepSisFo (Major) told me today that she said a prayer for me in Worth Abbey recently, which is excellent news. I’m all for the praying and the ‘holding in the light’ - ALL orisons, of whatever nature, very gratefully received here in Trying To Avoid Death Central.

Despair Demon: now well and truly sunk into his very own Slough of Despond, which is a bit of a turn up for the book, given his particular line of work. I’m sworn to secrecy on this as far as the other Chemo Demons are concerned, because he fears losing all professional credibility should it become known that he is, er, depressed. I’ve suggested Prozac, and he’s thinking about it.

Chemo Muse: given my current state of debility, she’s eased off a bit and is letting me do fairly short blog posts at the moment, but only on the understanding that as soon as we get some more steroids it will be all systems go again.

Chemo Brian: his Siren call from the sofa is constantly in my ears - just give me 5 more minutes to finish this, Brian, and I’m there.

State of mind: much like Shackleton towards the end of the Endurance expedition, I imagine. Not long to go now…

Hair: fomenting revolt amongst the follicles in protest against its lack of maintenance– don’t get too cocky, Hair: I could always choose NOT to deep-freeze my skull in screaming agony with the Cold Cap for the last dose of FEC, and then where would you be? In a pile on the floor within 10 days, that’s where, so watch it.



Primum non nocere - ‘first, do no harm’ – is one of the basic principles of medical ethics, instilled into doctors at medical school; it is meant to remind them that, given any particular medical problem, it is sometimes better not to do something, or to do nothing, rather than risk causing more harm than good. It reminds doctors that they must consider the possible harm that any intervention might do, especially interventions that carry an obvious risk of harm but a less certain chance of benefit.

The harm that medical interventions can do is much on my mind today because at the moment I’m very weak, my brain is fuzzy and my vision is blurred, and sitting at the computer to write is really quite hard to do. Going for a walk, which I tried to do this afternoon, was more of a challenge still; my legs feel floppy and rubbery, my whole body is suffused with weakness, and this is what the chemo has done to me, not the cancer.

Chemotherapy treatment is designed to do you harm: it can only kill the cancer if it’s also nearly strong enough to kill the patient who is incubating the disease, and it only works if you have repeated doses over an extended period of time, the time in between each dose being the minimum compatible with patient survival.  So for the last four months, and five doses of chemo, it has all been about my recovering sufficiently after each dose of poison simply in order to be strong enough to survive being poisoned again.

Think about that, Dear Reader: all this business with the neutrophils, and making sure that the immune system has recovered each time – it’s all directed at making sure that the next dose of poison won’t actually kill you, and it’s a very fine line they draw. I will be so, so glad after the final dose of poison on Thursday to know that from that point onwards the toxins will gradually start leaving my body for good.

After Thursday, I won’t be just getting strong enough to be poisoned again: every day will mean a little less poison in my body, and this time it won’t be replaced. There will be the usual two weeks of nasty side effects, but after that I will be on the way to becoming strong, healthy and poison-free again. I will be getting strong enough to resume my life again, outside this chemical prison of the last 4 months; an invisible prison, but a prison nevertheless.

So, I’ve just got to get through another four days of this weakness, praying I’m going to be strong enough by Thursday to be poisoned again for the sixth and final time.

At last, FEC6.

Bring it on…

9 comments:

  1. Wishing you strength, of course, but I for one will miss this blog when you get to resume your life.

    And thanks for the multiple LBR recommendations. The paper copy doesn't arrive with much regularity, but I am happily working my way through everything Jenny Diski has ever written for them, online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! R and I are also both huge Jenny Diski fans - she is brilliant. So glad you're enjoying the LRB - it is a very fine publication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Caroline,
    Reading this post I cried for you - and yes, I admit it, for myself. It was only a few weeks ago I was at the same point; it's still all too fresh in my mind.
    It's hard: hard to bear, hard to understand.
    But you're near the end. And you're right...after Thursday, after the steroids, after the horrid days, you WILL be on your way back to reclaiming your life...your 'self'.
    I am so looking forward to that for you.
    Meanwhile, I am praying for no unexpected delays, and for strength - that strength you are not even aware you possess.
    Just a few more days, my friend. Hang on.
    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed you can even bear to keep reading the blog, now that you've finished chemo yourself, and I appreciate your continuing support very much indeed, Jen: once I've finished I imagine it will be very hard to think about chemo, or revisit it in any way, for some considerable time to come.

      Delete
    2. Admittedly, is often difficult to re-enter the world of chemo; sometimes I read your posts with my hand pressed over my mouth, tears in my eyes. But you and I were in it together for some time and even though I finished ahead of you, I can't bring myself to leave you in the lurch.
      Also, there were a number of times during my treatment when I did not feel I could adequately describe what was happening to me. At those times I shared excerpts from your blog with family and friends.
      I once described your blog as 'brutally honest'. Remember that? Well, chemo IS brutal and I, for one, am grateful someone has the ability to tell it like it is - no sugar-coating, no attempt to shield the ugly reality from family and/or friends - just an honest account.
      So, I have hung in there, responding/posting more often since I finished. Because I am grateful. Because I owe you that.
      I want/need to know you, too, have crossed that Rubicon.
      And you will.
      And I'll be here to share it with you.
      Love,
      Jen

      Delete
  4. as always for the past months I am sending "my good vibes". I found you at the Camel Barn Library in Ayvalik and was glad & sad to find you on Chemo Nights... The main item running through both these blogs is the joy of listening to your words. I don't think I have ever enjoyed reading some one's writing as much as yours. descriptive, funny, honest, ...there are not enough adjectives to describe.. I do hope something continues for us to enjoy the adventures of CFo and R and all the Fo's hilarious times... especially want to hear that you have made that planned trip back to Turkey. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are so kind xxxx

      Ii'm probably going to stop posting every day towards the end of April, when I finally get to go swimming again (the last day of the sixth chemo cycle is 25th April), which wil , for me, mark the end point of the chemo and the regaining of my freedom, but may post intermittently after that - there will still be the radiotherapy to get through.

      I will also be making at least one further post on the Camel Barn Library blog, because when I go to Turkey in May I will finally be meeting the Paraschos family,who are coming over from America, and showing them where their grandparents' house is, which will bring to a close that whole story on the Camel Barn Library.

      Delete
  5. I do hope you will resume The Camel Barn Library blog, Hocam. You've kept us in suspense for long enough. ;)

    Sending you every possible shred of positive energy for the days to come. Think of Leyla's smile. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See above, Hocam :))

      Thank you for the positive energy - it is sorely needed at the moment ,as I am so ridiculously weak. I HATE that. I'll be strong again soon, though.

      I don't just think of Leyla's smile, I look at it, often - your photos are lovely, as is your beautiful baby girl xx

      Delete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.