Wednesday, January 9, 2013

If you see me walking down the street, walk on by...


Day 31:  

General status update 

Hair: this is getting boring, isn’t it? No drama – no change. The one thing I still seem to be hanging on to, strangely enough. 

Nausea demon: He took pity on me today, given that it’s not much fun shooting fish in a barrel. A quick look on his internet history whilst he was out jogging reveals that he has been frequenting internet dating sites. This should be interesting.

Chemo Muse: Even she doesn’t like to see a grown woman cry; she patted my shoulder, awkwardly.

Chemo Brian: He held me while I wailed into his capacious chest. 

Fatigue/weakness: Overwhelming, debilitating. I had no idea how lightly I got off during FEC 1.  

Sleep, lack of: n/a 

Anxiety level (1-10): whatever 

Grief: Mourning the Old Caroline, taken away without my consent.  

State of mind: F*** it. All of it.

 
This is the first day, in 31 days and nights of chemo, when I just wasn’t going to bother to post; I'd had enough. But R suggested, rather firmly, that it might make me feel a bit better, so here we are again.

The last few days have been terrible, with the chemo cycle at its height, and the Chemo Demons wreaking their worst, but it wasn’t the physical torment that finally broke me, or that fact that I am now so weak and overwhelmed by numbing fatigue that it is hard even to get up off the sofa and walk from one room into another.

It was an email from a dear and much-loved friend.

One of my closest friends -  not one of my oldest friends, but someone with whom I have shared a great deal over the last four years, including all the secrets of my heart -sent me an email this morning, an email that made me break down and cry.

 I won’t quote it word for word, but what it said, in essence, was this:

I went out for lunch with a friend yesterday, and it reminded me how things used to be with you, when we would sit and talk for hours. I so miss the old funny, witty, Caroline – I miss our talks about love and life and books. I really admire how you’re dealing with cancer by writing the blog, and talking about it – I know that you have built yourself a big circle of support, but I can only wish you well from the periphery. I have a phobia about illness, and now those talks we had have been replaced by the evil big C - you’re all about the cancer.

I want the old Caroline back, and until she comes back, I can’t really be at the centre of things; and in the future, you will need someone who doesn’t remind you of the bad times. I want our friendship to still be about all those other things,  that will return to you when all this horror is over. Don’t let cancer destroy who you are. When this is over, I’ll always be around and be your friend.’

 Yes, I miss the old Caroline, too: she was taken away from me without my consent, and I doubt if I’m ever going to get her back in her original form.

I grieve for her every day, but not all the time, because most of what little energy I now have is taken up in the business of trying to stay alive. No, I can’t maintain friendships in the way I used to, because right now, I have to find a way not only to survive the cancer, but to survive the ‘treatment’ without losing my mind. Writing the blog is a coping mechanism, and if that makes me ‘all about the cancer’, well - actually, that’s just too fucking bad.

I’m sorry if the thought of my illness upsets you, and if hearing about how I spend my nights vomiting makes you uncomfortable – but hey, no one is forcing you to read the blog. Or to write an email telling me how distressing it is for you to have to interact with me now that I am so visibly and audibly bearing the stigmata of cancer.

I don’t expect people to be there for me endlessly whilst I’m going through this; I’m happy to receive support when it’s offered, because this is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with, but I don’t expect it, or demand it.

We all are who we are, and some have more capacity for empathy than others; we all have busy lives, and there is a limit to what we can do. If someone needs quietly to drift away from me right now, then no harm done.

But there was something my grandmother used to say, which has always struck me as remarkably sound advice: if you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything at all.

Because I miss the old Caroline, too, more than I can possibly say.

And having it spelt out to me in writing, so very clearly, just how much I have changed, what I have lost, the difference in how others perceive me, broke me today in a way neither the cancer nor the chemo, separately or together, had previously been able to do.

So if you see me walking down the street, and I start to cry each time we meet, walk on by, walk on by….
 
 
 
 

 

15 comments:

  1. Is it wrong that I'm shocked by that email and the timing it was sent? That sort of makes me feel you have diminished as a person, which you most certainly haven't. Your feelings, your trials and all the bloody stuff that is frightening and grabs you when you are weakest makes you you. Throughout your blog your humour and intelligence shines through.
    How would they cope with illness? Those of us with chronic conditions have to adapt and know there are things other people have to accept we cant do, but Chemo is a whole nother sort of torture and as I swig the morphine or bundle another load of tablets down, I wouldn't want to change places for the world. But "I have a phobia about illness? PURLEEEASE.

    I think it's one of the most crass, insensitive horrible things I've read and I'm cross for you. Do I want the old Caroline back chatting about tennis and lust for Pat Rafter? Nope, that was then, this is now. And -as I have 3 friends ( can I count you as a friend, even if it's cyber?) going through what your going through, each reacting very differently, but THEY ARE ALL SCARED WITLESS.
    That's human isn't it? The new Caroline is equally if not more valid than the old. Because it's raw and personal. And while I doubt the other 2 will leave comments, they do read the blog every day and it's made them know they are part of a too large community of Chemo patients and brings them solace.
    Carry on Caroline. You are coping in the way you know best, and are one gutsy funny lady. BAH for the person who sent the email. Thank goodness you have support of the right kind, you need it in spades at the moment xxx:( /rant over

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are still you. Your illness and it's treatment doesn't define you. This blog proves that you still have a wicked sense of humour, a mind that thinks "outside the box" (chemo sponsorship - bloody amazing idea) and a generous heart. You are dealing with some really unpleasant stuff - often by laughing and/or swearing about it. You will come through this, stronger and wiser, more aware of the frailties we all risk. There is still a stigma about cancer, people are afraid of it because it is huge - the illness, the treatment. But never ever doubt you are still you, probably more than you would be if you had a serious case of flu and you will get most of the bits of your old self back as soon as you've stopped being able to smell a curry from a mile away, and are no longer in the running for the title of world champion puker of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I could walk on by or I could just stop you in your tracks and give you a hug right then and there. Oh no - there's the germ thing and I am full of a good assortment lately. Hmmm. How about breaking into song, let's say The Boss's 'Fire,' never mind what the people would say. I'd say 'Kashmir' but that really needs instruments... It's clearly you my dear and not the Chemo Muse who is writing. Beats the hell out of morning news...Cyber hugs full of love, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been laid up with a horrible case of bronchitis-this is the first time I've ever been so sick that I can't maintain my basic daily routines-and have not commented in ages as I just haven't had the energy-and how gutless I feel-when I know you have the discipline to post everyday-just as you've said you would and in spite of what you are going through.
    We may not have chatted over love, life, and books-but I feel that you've revealed yourself through Camel Barn and now Chemo Nights and I see the same intelligent, insightful person-with such a heart & humor to spare. Thank you so much for sharing your life - I will take you in good times and in bad-you are that brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Caroline, I'm having my last chemo today I had 3 FEC followed by 3 Taxotere and I've been pretty lucky with the side effects (though I don't have any hair!).

    The email you got made me cry, how insensitive.

    Sending you lots of positive thoughts, even though I don't know you. Hang in there.

    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear Caroline,
    Tally has said just about everything I could say, and done it much better than I could. I just wanted to add my bit. That email was shitty and I hope the person who wrote it is ashamed. More importantly you haven't changed, you haven't lost any of your essential Caroline-ness. The subject matter has changed drastically but it's still your voice coming through in your writing, thank goodness. A phobia about illness? Really?? Because the rest of us just love it of course! Seriously though, as if it makes any difference to how we feel about you. You are doing what you need to get through this and doing it gracefully and with humour. Your stamina astounds me as I know I would be hiding under my duvet refusing to deal with it AT ALL. I wish I knew you well enough that you could phone me if you need a good moan, I have large and absorbent ears!
    Lots of love from Sausage Mansions
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. No walking on by *hugs* What an utterly shitty thing to have received at this time.

    Your blog is a fascinating(?) insight into the world of cancer - the discovery, the diagnosis, the treatment, the side effects, your feelings, etc. These details none of us would know unless going through it ourselves. You keep going and we will be there through all the crap vomiting times and the better times as well. I don't know you in person but your blog doesn't 'sound' any different to the writing from before.

    Liza x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hocam,
    I was filled with utter horror that someone could write that to you - even a sworn enemy could not use such cruel words. Some people are so, so selfish. Some people think the world is all about them.

    And it's just so, so, so fucking untrue. You are still everything you ever were, and then some, as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad this twat cannot perceive that - I have to feel pity for her! (and rage, would love to take a swipe at her...) - hope she keeps reading the comments on this blog!! YEAH, I'M TALKING TO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't often comment (once, in fact)because this seems to be very much a blog for friends and family. But I was really saddened by today's tale. I hope the support you're obviously receiving from elsewhere helps you through this new loss (and I mean here the loss of a fairweather friend, not the loss of the 'old Caroline', who is clearly not lost at all but attending to different priorities right now). xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I look for you every morning. In the voice of your posts I find the same person who wrote those marvellous pieces from the Camel Barn Library. I rarely comment as, to be truthful, I don't know what to say. Trite offerings of good wishes and hoping that you'll feel better soon do not fit the bill. However, I silently will you to withstand the demons and emerge into sunshine once again. I'll walk along with you. All the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never commented, because you don't know me. Once, along with Claudia, we almost arranged a visit to you from Assos. Then Claudia and you lost touch. But just to say, that I have read your blog from the beginning and celebrate your writing, talent, wit, and sheer tenacity. As the old saying goes, I walk along the edge as you are in the valley, and share time with you and cheer you on. I think that today you need to hear yet another supportive voice. This too will end, and the new Caroline will be forged of far sterner stuff and no what can and what cannot be taken for granted (hmm . . .not much, but . . . . ) Caroline, you are doing an amazing job of getting through this, and it is a privilege to share your moments through the blogs. PS I live in Istanbul and spend summers in Assos. Right now am at the end of a week in London . . . Wishing you a good next 24 hours, and a revival of spirit. LOL (read that as you may) from Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came to your blog via BCC, as my MIL is just awaiting a treatment plan post-mastectomy. I thought I would try to find out as much as I could in order to best support her.

    If a stranger is allowed to be somewhat blunt in a first comment, I just cannot understand how anyone could fail to find you amazingly full of vibrancy even when you are feeling dreadful. I am so sorry that your friend is not with you in this.

    And I have to say, in a very cliched phrase, that you truly rock. I have had my first good belly laugh since my MIL's diagnosis reading of Hank's close encounter of the Vaseline kind. I will never again look at a Cath Kidston apron in the same way.

    Best wishes with the ongoing treatment, and may the nausea demon get a good slapping!

    Bee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Caroline, I'm stunned that your friend wrote it. I like your grandmother's quote, but I had 2 quotes come to mind when I was reading this post.

    The first is "It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt." Your friend should have followed this advice!

    The second quote is from President Theodore Roosevelt: "Life brings sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle."

    Life has brought you cancer and you are facing it head on. Bravo! You do it with incredible wit and panache. I have no doubt that you will defeat this disease and help people (through this blog) in the process.

    Life has also brought this cancer into your friend's life and she (?) is withdrawing from the battle. This shows her true mettle and I pity her for it.

    Perhaps the most telling sentence in the email was this: "I want the old Caroline back, and until she comes back, I can’t really be at the centre of things." Apparently she needs to be at the center of attention and this whole cancer thing is putting a damper on that. Bummer for her.

    Be well and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I've mentioned before, I've just come through a year supporting a close friend in very similar circumstances and I can only say it's made our friendship stronger and richer. I can't imagine having the cheek to tell her to give me a ring when it's all over so we can pick up where we left off. Even though we talked about her cancer a lot, it's only through reading your blog that I've come to really understand what she was, and is, going through. And she's still as clever, funny and kind as she ever was so don't worry, the new Caroline will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all so much for all the messages of support - both the ones printed here and the ones I received via email, Twitter and Facebook - which mean a huge amount to me, and did a lot to help lift me out of the Slough of Despond I fell into after receiving that email.

    I should add that yesterday I was alarmed to find that my mother, MamaFo, had left a message on my answerphone, in which she was clearly in tears, saying that she had just been reading the blog. MamaFo comes from north Yorkshire, and doesn’t normally do crying, and I was immediately wracked with guilt that by writing about this experience on the blog I had unnecessarily upset my 81 year old mother, who is not in the best of health herself at the moment (a bad cold, don’t panic).

    However, when I called her back, it transpired that MamaFo had not been crying because of what I had written, but because she had been moved to tears by the kindness shown by all the people who had taken the trouble to post messages of support in response to this blog post.

    You made my mother cry, guys – just saying xxx


    ReplyDelete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.