Tuesday, January 1, 2013

‘Twas the Night Before Chemo

Day 23 

General status update
Hair: Were there a few more hairs on my comb this morning? Is my hair becoming LOOSE? IS IT?
Or is this just the Chemo Paranoia Demon getting started? 
Nausea demon: Quite subdued today after partying late last night to see in the New Year;
now getting an early night, in anticipation of being on constant duty for the next few days after FEC 2 tomorrow.
Chemo Muse: Very excited about the intravenous steroids we’re going to be getting tomorrow, which will make her ROAR!
Paranoia Demon: arrived after my meeting with Stan yesterday, of which more below – has unpacked, settled in, and immediately got down to work.
Mouth: My tongue is getting sore. Toast hurts. Can’t eat anything at all spicy. Not even black pepper. And I was the Chili Queen of W6. Goodbye, channa masala, hello cauliflower cheese. NO! Nothing cheesy, the thought of that makes me feel even more nauseous. Hell, there’s not much left. A nice plate of plain pasta, or a bit of boiled rice. 15 more weeks of this. Sigh.
New, improved side effects: I asked Stan yesterday if the 'getting worse' bit, as the chemo cycles continue and the poison levels in my bloodstream increase, might be limited to the current side effects; if there was a chance I might be spared any new sorts of unpleasantness. His initial, wordless, glance of pity communicated instantly what he then went on to spell out, which may be paraphrased as follows: 'In your dreams, dear, IN YOUR DREAMS - brace yourself'. 
Collateral damage: R had a chemo-induced hangover today, after being forced to drink nearly a whole bottle of Prosecco last night during our New Year’s Eve celebration, as I took exactly 2 sips from my glass and was unable to continue. First alcohol I’ve tried since starting chemo – it just tasted vile.
Sleep, lack of: I’m allowed to have a Lorazepam tonight – YAY!! And maybe one in the morning as well, as a special treat, just before they start pumping the poison into my veins again.
Anxiety level (1-10): Close to peaking, but will soon be tempered by 2 consecutive Lorazepam. 
State of mind: Trying very hard to think about anything except what’s going to happen tomorrow; failing, on the whole.

 
 

‘Twas the night before Chemo when all through the flat
Not a creature was stirring, not even a rat;
Caroline was nestling all snug in her bed
While visions of side-effects danced in her head; 

When outside the window arose such a clatter,
She sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window she flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
When, what to her wondering eyes should appear,
But a sleigh full of demons, all fuelled by Fear.

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
Demons driven by Chemo sped through the sky,
More rapid than eagles his demons they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;

"Now, Nausea! Anaemia! now, bald Alopecia!
On, Fever! on Sepsis! on, sweet Neutropenia!
To the top of the porch!  To the top of the wall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!" 

And then, in a twinkling, she heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As she drew in her hand, and was turning around,
From the chimney St. Chemo appeared with a bound

 He was dressed all in black, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all toxic with ashes and soot;
A bundle of side effects hung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
 
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the bones in his skull were as white as the snow;
The stump of a syringe he held tight in his teeth,
Toxic fumes encircled his head like a wreath; 

He was fearsome and scary, a poisonous elf,
And she screamed when she saw him, in spite of herself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave her to know she had plenty to dread;

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled her with terror; then turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose; 

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But she heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
HAPPY CHEMO TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!

 with apologies to Clement Clarke Moore
 

5 comments:

  1. sending comforting vibes for #2 chemo... someone with your sense of humor and the written word can only survive with flags flying for this next 77 day challenge. look around you tomorrow and see all us holding your hand Wednesday..... or whatever time zone we are in! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, V - all positive vibes will be very gratefully received xx

      R will be with me and, having noticed last time that the Chemo Ward actually has wifi - which the rest of the hopsital doesn't - am planning to live-tweet the occasion, all being well, with R acting as guest DJ, to come up with a suitably chemo-themed playlist on YouTube.

      Initial suggestions have included 'First Cut is the Deepest' by Rod Stewart, and 'Poison' by Alice Cooper. Anyone got any more ideas?

      You will note from the time posted on this reply that the sedative doesn't seem to have knocked me out yet... I have sneaked out of the bedroom, leaving R peacefully slumbering, and into my study so I can use the computer to help lull me to sleep until the Lorazepam finally kicks in.

      Really hope I'm not going to be seeing the dawn...

      Delete
  2. What Vicki said...

    Caroline, I have read your entire blog, and I wish I could say I enjoyed doing so. My heart aches for you and the pure crap you are enduring for a "just in case" outcome. And at the same time, I applaud your always-excellent prose, your wit, your humor, and your wisdom. I hope that the writing contributes positive therapy to the horribleness of the chemo.

    I admire your fortitude; if it were me, I'd probably be firmly established in Goa by this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dick, how lovely to hear from you and thank you so much for your very kind comments. Writing the blog is definitely having a significnt therapeutic benefit, as it keeps me so busy every day that I just don't have any time to wallow in the nausea or entertain dark thoughts of possible unfortunate outcomes to itall.

      I made a promise to myself at the beginning of all this that I would write a post every day, so long as I am physically capable - and if I'm not physically capable, I'll dictate one to R and HE can post it. This concentrates the mind wonderfully, and is keeping me sane-ish

      C xxx

      Delete
  3. Get thee Bruce Springstein's 'Fire' on that playlist, girl! 'Love Potion Number 9'? Maybe R can put that on just for fun though I am sure fun is not what you'll be in the mood for...
    And just what is Dr. Stan's stand on the medicinal benefits of marijuana?
    Here's a germ-free hug my dear, and a hand to hold if R has to exit for a few minutes.
    Much love, xxx

    ReplyDelete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.