Monday, December 31, 2012

Wishing you all a Blazingly Good New Year…

Day 22
 
General status update
Hair: Panic-stricken about FEC 2 and trying to retract itself into its follicles, but I think that only works with testicles
Nausea demon: Seems to be arranging some kind of New Year’s Eve party with the
Chemo Muse, who is busy trying on, and then discarding on the floor, numerous party outfits. If she doesn’t put them all back on the hangers, then there is going to be trouble.
Sleep, lack of: Currently acute - I went to bed at 3.50 am this morning, and was up at 8.
Anxiety level (1-10): Rocketing, but I’ll tell you why tomorrow.
State of mind: See Anxiety, above.
 
 
 

 
New Year’s Eve at the oncology clinic turns out to be much like any other day: although there is still some festive tinsel around, the holiday lull seems to be over and the room is, as usual, full of bald men, and women wearing headscarves, or knitted woolly hats – no wigs in evidence.

When I am called in to see Stan, he greets me cordially, comments on how well I am looking, and asks how things have been since he came to my rescue during the Great Nausea Meds Crisis on day 7 of my first chemo cycle, 2 weeks ago.

PerfectlyfineMyonlymajorsideeffectssofararethenauseaandsleeplessnessandthewhole
hyperactivitythingdoyourememberyoutoldmeI’dbesurprisedbyjusthowmuchIcoulddo
whileIwashavingchemo,well,youwereabsolutelyrightandI’vebeenworkingamazinglyhard
onawritingprojectI’vewrittenmorethan20thousandwordsnowandI’vealsoraisedabout450
quidforTheHavensofarbygettingpeopletosponsormychemoandIhopetoraisealotmorebytheend..’

I am forced to pause for breath, but before I can continue gabbling Stan lifts his hand and says ‘Hang on a minute. Did you just say you were getting people to sponsor your chemo?’

‘Yes!’ I beam at him, ‘I think it may quite possibly be the world’s first ever sponsored course of chemo.’

‘I think you are very probably right there’ says Stan, slowly.

Then he smiles at me ‘Caroline, I’m proud of you for making something positive out of this – I know how terrified you were of having chemo’.

I manage not to burst into tears, but it’s a close-run thing.

Stan, of course, has absolutely no idea that he has been co-starring in this blog for the last 3 weeks (along with Hank the Hungarian Visla – it’s a close call as to which of them has the most fans), nor that several women have already indicated to me that when they get cancer, they definitely want Stan to be their oncologist. I decided not to mention any of that – we wouldn’t want him getting big-headed, or anything.

Today’s YouTube clip is a special New Year’s Song by the wonderful Northumbrian folk singers the Unthanks; it accompanies pictures of a traditional north of England New Year’s Eve ceremony, the Allendale Tar Barrel Procession, another fiery event of (possibly spurious) Viking origin.

 This song is dedicated to @fionalaird by way of apology for her Hamster Viking Funeral-related distress. Look, Fiona - lots of flames, and NO dead hamsters!




 
 
Happy New Year!

11 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, CarFo!

    May 2013 be the Year of the Complete Recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you, Glen - and many thanks for all your support xx Caroline

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Hocam - keep up the good slog xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you, Hocam, and of course to Ozan and the Princess Leyla, aka The Most Beautiful Baby In The World And Probably The Entire Universe - hope to see you again soon, and not just because I want to play with your infant, honest xx

      Delete
  3. Hope the New Years was a good celebration for you and R..
    I think we should start a pool, a side event to Haven, on whether you lose the hair.. you know some people don't! i've got a feeling that you are one of those! here's wishing!
    I agree with Sonja "keep sloggin" and bloggin!
    Yeni yılın Kutlu Olsun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mutlu yıllar! - We had a lovely New Year's celebration, thank you xx

      I should probably bet that my hair WILL fall out, so I get to win one way or another, whatever the outcome...

      Delete
  4. Here's to a great 2013 to you and all the other protagonists of the blog. By the way, you may have raised more for The Haven than your donation page indicates. I gave it a go late on Christmas Day/early hours of Boxing Day, and so may have woozily failed to check a box or something to link it to your page, but I have the confirmation from Virgin that the donation to The Haven went through (ref IDN000006758223), though it doesn't appear on your page. This is for your running total rather than wanting to see my name in lights, I like to think. Here's hoping for the best possible second round of chemo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @jmaher A Happy New Year to you too, and thanks so much for the donation xx I have just looked at the list of donors on my Virgin Giving page, and there was an anonymous donor on 25th Dec who didn't leave a message - was that you? If donors want to be listed as anonymous, I have no access to the donation details,and only know who it is if they leave me a message. If that wasn't you, let me know and I'll follow it up with Virgin giving.

      Delete
    2. That looks like me - it was probably the 25th in UK and 26th, just, in Spain. Rather sorry to have broken cover, but glad that donation identified with your sponsorship. Un beso.

      Delete
  5. Fos,

    Am I the only one who can't get on to your blog to reply? It won't let me access the "comment as" thingy.

    As a result I've been unable to share my urgent thoughts on your use of the word "sodomise" in a canine context, which frankly I fear is inaccurate. But then my only experience of such matters was long, long ago in a rural public school in the early 70s, and while the memories remain vivid and not wholly unpleasant, maybe the relevant terminology has left me behind and it is I who need reeducating.

    One gets so confused nowadays....

    Love,

    Charles

    NB - editorial note
    (transferred here by me from an email, because my old mate Charles and the Blogger comment function don't seem to be getting on, and I would hate for him to be felled by an apoplexy so soon after getting in touch again - caroline)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Charles, I might have known that it would take a discussion of sodomy to make you break cover...

      I thought you spent all your time at Bradfield acting in Greek tragedies performed in the original Ancient Greek? You never said a word about sodomy but, given your status as an alumnus of an English public school, renowned hot-beds of this particular vice, I realise I must in this instance bow to your superior knowledge.

      Lovely to hear from you, Jennings - keep trying with the comment function, I'm sure you'll get there in the end (or maybe one of your kids could help?) xxx Fos

      Delete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.