Sunday, April 7, 2013

No surrender


Day 119

General status update
FEC cycle 6, day 4

Fatigue/weakness: too weak now to do anything, much. It’s BAD. It will pass. This is the LAST TIME.

Anxiety level/insane euphoria (+/- 1-10,000): for the first time the fatigue is stronger than the Dexys. Insane euphoria sadly absent.

Nausea demon: our early morning meds and breakfast assignations are taking on something of an elegaic quality – both he and I know that we only have about another week together.

Chemo Muse: she’s waiting impatiently for the fatigue to stop trumping the Dexys, and amusing herself with the Despair Demon in the interim. Poor besotted fool.

Chemo Brian: on reflection, I think I’d rather like to keep him, and given that the after-effects of chemo may go on for the next 3-6 months, I don’t see why I shouldn’t.

State of mind: will be a lot better after this week is over – I’m not finished with FEC until FEC has finished with me.

Hair: Well, I’ve had the final dose of chemo and it still hasn’t fallen out – who would have thought it? It’s thin, it’s tatty, but it’s still pretty much all there, whichs has been a matter of wonder and amazement to all, and a huge stroke of good fortune for me. I can’t gloat about it, though, knowing the huge grief that losing their hair has caused to my Sisters in Chemo; it really is like being kicked when you’re already on the floor. 
  

It’s so close to the end now, but it’s still so hard – FEC doesn’t want to let me go just yet.

I’m so weak that the slightest physical exertion, and I mean the slightest, exhausts me, and I have to sit down and rest. My legs feel like jelly, and the bottom half of my left arm hurts quite badly inside from the toxicity of the chemotherapy drugs that were pumped into me on Thursday. The nausea and stomach pains are perhaps at 40% of the level of the earlier cycles, now the meds have been sorted, and with extra steroids to boot, but it's still extremely unpleasant.

It’s day 4 and today and the next few days are the worst, so I just have to grit my teeth and bear it, keep reminding myself that is the last time, THE LAST TIME, that 3 weeks from now I will not be entering another chemo cycle, I will simply be getting better and stronger.

Soon I will be swimming again, gliding through the water, the cool silky water, free from the PICC line, free from the needles, free from the poison, free from the chemical prison.

I just have to get through this week of feeling terrible, and the following week of having no immune system, and then I can get back in the pool. My greatest fear, right now, is of anything happening to stop that.

I am desperate to get back in that pool, and I will.

There will be no retreat, no surrender.






6 comments:

  1. Okay - that was weird - I've just been back through the past few days blog posts, convinced you'd finished one of your recent entries with a Springsteen video ... and it turns out it's tonight's ...

    I'm so glad you're really on the final stretch, even with the struggle of the next few days. Twitter is the reason I started reading your blog (we've got lots of friends in common) and now I can't imagine a day without you.

    So looking forward to seeing you regain strength and stamina and enjoy that first swim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , Lucy - not long to go now...

      and you were right, there have been a couple of other Springsteen songs recently: Running on Empty http://chemonights.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/running-on-empty.html

      and My City of Ruins
      http://chemonights.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/my-city-of-ruins-reprise.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that - I think it was My City of Ruins I was looking for - do love a bit of the Boss! So glad you have the gig to look forward to as well as so much else! x

      Delete
  2. I do think you've earned the right to a drug-induced sleep for the next few days, until the worst has passed. Of course sleeping outside, under your blanket and the sun, would be ideal, but I'm guessing Ghurka Towers doesn't offer a balcony for this option. But soon! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, isn't it, how you can be so sick, so weak, and still maintain a degree of optimism. My OH (other half) tells me that during the week or so after my last treatment every time he asked how I was doing I responded with, "Better." And then I floated off.
    Float, my friend. Just go with it as best you can; you know the drill...
    Not that it helps right now but you're one day closer to floating in that pool.
    xxx Jen

    ReplyDelete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.