Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Still totally FECked...


Day 122
  
General status update
FEC cycle 6, day 7


Fatigue/weakness: off the scale - this is getting very tedious.  PLEASE DESIST: I WANT MY LIFE BACK NOW

Anxiety level/insane euphoria (+/- 1-10,000): Great Big Dexy Fail -  fatigue beats all.

Nausea demon: he woke me up at 4.45 a.m., the little b***ard. I know he is trying to go out with a bang and not a whimper, but that was just not funny.

Despair Demon: Yeah, he’s right. Everything is tending towards a state of entropy, and the sooner we get there the better. WE’RE ALL DOOMED.

Chemo Muse: I’ve told her I’m on strike until I’m feeling better. Tools downed. Everyone reaches the end of their tether at some point, and I’m RIGHT THERE RIGHT NOW.

Chemo Brian: He needs to cut off that stupid pony tail – it looks ridiculous on a demon his age.

State of mind: the physical problems are nasty, but if anything the psychological side effects are now worse. During the  last couple of days I have started losing it, melting down at the slightest provocation. In sum, feeling extremely irritable and bad-tempered, and very unattractively sorry for myself – best avoided at all costs.



This is just horrible.

The last few days have taught me that I didn’t even understand the meaning of the word ‘fatigue’ until now. The exhaustion that is now overwhelming me is epic, completely debilitating, and on a quite different scale from the weakness and tiredness that I suffered during the earlier chemo cycles.

I just can’t do anything except lie down, and when I do get up to make a cup of tea or go to the bathroom, it makes me so tired I have to lie down again very quickly. I’m desperate to get outside into the sunshine, now that there is at last a bit of sunshine today, but I’m not even confident of getting as far as Brook Green, which is only 5 minutes walk away.

FEC6 (and presumably the cumulative, lingering effects of FECs 1-5) has taken ALL my strength away. There is nothing I can do but wait and hope for it to come back.

I’m still suffering from all the stomach-related side effects as well, albeit muted by the steroids,  and am now feeling worse, all-round, than at any time since the day I started chemo in December. It’s only now I can do virtually nothing at all that I realise how much I was still managing to do earlier.

I’ve written more than 120,000 words on this blog over the last four months (how did I do that??), but now I’m finding it hard to type even a few sentences.

I hate that. I want the blog to finish on a positive note, with renewed energy, and me beginning to get stronger again - that doesn’t seem likely to be happening any time soon, though.

Instead I'm writing less and less, starting to go completely stir-crazy after 4 months of virtual house arrest, and whining more and more.

Sorry about that.

I also have a horrible feeling I may have whined in exactly the same way during the worst days of all 6 cycles of FEC, and am now simply repeating myself ad nauseam - but I haven't read back and I certainly can't remember, what with Chemo Brian having made away with my brain.

Please send spinach.

5 comments:

  1. I WISH I could say something that would help. But this one's the worst - we both were warned - and the only thing you can do is hump up and allow the time to do the after-effect crawl. Is horrid, I know, but Caroline, it WILL PASS. IT WILL.
    If I could go back and give myself advice during this bit, I'd tell me it's okay to cry. It is, and I did - but I felt so damned guilty about it. I should not have. This is the sickest a human being can be, why shouldn't you cry?
    Did it help? Well, can't say it changed a damned thing, but I did feel I had hit rock bottom and there was simply no place to go but up. And then I did.
    It will happen for you, too. I JUST WISH I HAD SOME TRULY MAGIC WORDS FOR YOU...
    Hang on now...hang ON.
    xxx Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Jen xx - all your words are magic, and they help a great deal, knowing that you have so recently been here in this horrible place, but are now successfully out the other side.

      I will be there with you soon...

      Delete
  2. Sleep, rest and feel better soon. You've got a gathering to go to in just a few weeks. Rest now so you'll have the strength to party then. The sunshine and flowers in Turkey will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending a container ship of spinach your way. You can do this Hocam. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warm thoughts and prayers for strength sent your way...

    ReplyDelete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.