Monday, December 10, 2012

24 hours till Chemo..

Day One

General status update:
Side effects: none as yet, chemo doesn't start until tomorrow
Hair: still attached (see above)
Anxiety level (scale of 1-10): it knows no bounds
State of mind: richocheting off the walls like a human squash ball
 
In the midst of life I found myself in a dark wood, as people so often do. Still, as I stumbled about in a baffled haze, wondering how it had all gone so very wrong, there were two issues at least about which there were no doubts, two things I knew with crystalline certainty: the first was that I would never again live in London, or any other big city, something I took so seriously that I moved 2,000 miles away to live in a camel barn on the north Aegean coast of Turkey; the second was that I would, quite literally, rather die than have chemotherapy.
 
Everything else in life might be dim and foggy  - viewed through a glass, darkly, even - but about these two matters I was as sure as sure could be: no London, and no chemo, under any circumstances whatsoever.

NOT EVER.

Were I to get cancer I would simply refuse, point blank, the brutal treatments on offer, namely surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy; at the beginning of the twenty-first century the main treatments for cancer can still be summed up concisely in just four words: ‘Slash, Poison and Burn’.  

Twenty years earlier, the man I then thought was the love of my life had died at the age of 32, slowly and horribly, 12 months after developing leukaemia. He didn’t die from the leukaemia: he died from what would otherwise have been a minor chest infection, after the chemotherapy had temporarily destroyed his immune system. His experience, and my subsequent reading of the medical literature, left me convinced that chemotherapy is essentially a form of torture inflicted by doctors on cancer patients, with very little beneficial effect on long term survival rates.
 
Why? Because oncologists, despite many decades of intensive cancer research,  have still not found a more effective method of eliminating cancer than cutting out the tumour and then injecting you with poison, in the more often than not vain hope that it will kill off any residual cancer cells and prevent the disease from returning. The ineffectiveness of chemo is widely documented in the medical literature although, strangely, not much publicised. In many cases, chemo improves survival chances by only 2-3%, and its toxicity brings not only terrible immediate side effects, but also considerable long-term risks for the patient, not least the possibility that it may kick start the development of another, entirely different, cancer.

So, no chemo for me – I had an alternative plan: should I be unlucky enough to develop cancer, I would accept the death sentence graciously and without argument, refuse chemo, and go straight for the morphine, thereby cutting out the pointless suffering. I could then live out my remaining days in a pleasant, opioid-induced haze, preparing calmly to meet my Maker. I was on my own, childless, and fairly loosely tethered to life at the best of times: death from cancer might even offer an easyish way out of an existence that had for two decades been overshadowed by grief, survivor’s guilt and subsequent failure to thrive.  Bring it on.

Given my deeply-entrenched views on these matters of life and death, it has thus come as a considerable surprise to find that, as 2012 draws to a close, I am EXACTLY where I swore I would never, ever be. Not only am I now living in Hammersmith, an area of London that I have always regarded more as a giant mutant traffic island than a place where one might actually choose to live, but I am also, with immense reluctance, about to start a course of chemotherapy, for breast cancer. Go figure.

I’ve never been a huge fan of John Lennon – those distressing images of him and Yoko Ono naked marred my childhood and still return to haunt me from time to time – but there is one thing about which he was absolutely right, one statement he made which encapsulated in a few words the central dilemma of the human condition:

‘Life is what happens when you’re making other plans’.

Yes, quite.

My chemotherapy begins tomorrow, on Tuesday 11th December. I will be having 6 cycles of a chemo regimen called FEC – from the Father Ted pharmaceutical company, presumably -  spaced every 21 days, or as close to that as can be managed. This means that the interval between the first and last doses of FEC will be around 15 weeks: just over 100 days. They give you steroids to ease the side effects of the chemo, but the side effects of the steroids include, apparently, difficulty in sleeping.

There are thus going to be many, many long Chemo Nights over the next few months; not nearly as many as Scheherazade had to endure, of course, in equally unpromising circumstances, but arguably rather more unpleasant. I plan to fill them, as did Scheherazade, by telling tales, here on this blog (including, obviously, the bizarre sequence of events that has led to me being about to do something I swore I would never do, in a place whither I had vowed never to return). I will write a blog post every night, all being well;  each post published will help me count down the days until the final dose of chemo in the last week in March. Right now, that seems a very, very long way off, but all great journeys begin with a single step, do they not? I'm just going to have to stumble forward, one Chemo Night at a time, towards the sunlit uplands of a chemo-free - and hopefully cancer-free - future.

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting us on this journey with you, Hocam. You're more candid here than I've yet experienced. I'll keep reading...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you again, but so very sad to hear the reason why.
    A friend recently went through this, and is out the other side, as you will be in time. I'll be following your stories. Good luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, will try to follow you along your journey and offer words of encouragement whenever I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i will be thinking of you today and sending positive thoughts your way. As I did with "Camel Barn" I will look forward to your stories-you are a gifted storyteller-You will get through this-XO

      Delete
    2. Thank you both - it is hugely appreciated! xx

      Delete
  4. 20 years ago I would have agreed with your choice (whether I would have had the guts to make that choice I wouldn't know). Things have advanced and MANY, MANY people come out the other side. Stories are what get us through the hard night. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, things have improved a lot in the last 20 years, and my prognosis is good.

      Delete
  5. Just subscribed by email so as not to miss any. Available for middle of the night skypeing any time. Tell cancer and chemo to go fuck themselves -- you've got an army in support, and the love of an excellent man. It's only right that it all turns out OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the spirit - and get yourself over here so we can finally commence the Barnes Stalking Extravaganza! xx

      Delete
  6. Was just wondering about your Camel Barn blog on my bookmarks recently. I too am wishing it was fresh news from your Camel Barn. I am on the same thought about the Chemo, but can only hope for the best.. I have several friends that have gone through it for breast cancer and are doing fine now. Will look forward to following your journey and remember laughter is the best healer of all.. I am so sorry that you had to leave Turkey and hope that you will be returning in the near future.
    hugs and smiles!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki x - I hope to be able to make a trip back to the Camel Barn in the Spring, after the chemo is over.

      Delete
  7. From Jed: I admire and applaud your decision to write this blog Caroline. I hope sharing your news in this way will in some small measure help you endure it. You are a gifted writer and have much to share. I look forward to seeing you back in Ayvalik well and cheerful Caroline. Jed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, dear Caroline. I was really sorry when your wonderful Ayvalık idyll seemed to dry up. As you may remember, I had hoped to drive down to visit you from Assos ... but now, this. To say that I am sorry is neither here nor there: I agree with Jed above: I admire and applaud you for writing this blog, just as he says. Courage! Writing about it is an excellent idea and I for one will be following. You are such a gifted writer. Warm hugs, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Claudia, I was so sorry we never go to meet, but life moved on rather rapidly in unexpected ways! And thank you xx

      Delete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.