Saturday, December 22, 2012

Of all the timelines in all the Twitterverse, he walks into mine…

Day 13: Intermezzo - a brief romantic interlude.

General status update:
Hair: no change
Nausea Demon: Quiet, as he’s busy finalising his choice of Open University course – he’s narrowed it down to either a Diploma in Counselling or a course in ‘Health and Social Care’.  Go figure.
Chemo Muse: channelling her Inner Whirling Dervish. It’s frightening.
Heightened sense of smell: red wine, one of my favourite things in the world, now smells like vinegar. I no longer have any desire to drink it. This makes me want to weep.
Skin: Getting very dry, and a bit sore. By the time the sixth dose of chemo comes around, I will have completed my metamorphosis  into a Komodo Dragon Giant Lizard. Eat your heart out, Franz Kafka.
Anxiety (0-10): Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil - and that is all down to Lorazepam, the Lord’s Own high-potency, 3-hydroxy benzodiazepine drug.
State of mind: On standby. Please don't pull the plug out from the wall.
 

 Once upon a time or, more precisely, one bright summer’s morning in July 2010, a woman called Betty was finding ways not to do the thing that she knew she ought to be doing, which was writing. Betty (who lived by the English seaside in a town called Whitstable, famous for oysters)


had a contract with a publisher, and an overdue deadline, and she needed to concentrate on finishing the chapter she was writing, in the worst possible way. So, not unsurprisingly, she was playing Spider Solitaire and letting herself be distracted by Twitter.

At exactly the same moment two other people, one in a recently restored old camel barn on the north Aegean coast of Turkey....




 the other in an office in a university in London,


 were doing much the same thing: namely, anything at all to avoid applying themselves to the task before them that urgently needed doing. 

At 11.43 am Betty realised how much of the morning she had wasted, and observed sadly to the Twitterverse:

@52Betty Procrastination is the thief of time, and he has STOLEN my entire morning.

 Her two fellow procrastinators - both acquainted with Betty, but not with each other - smiled with fellow feeling when, simultaneously, 2000 miles apart, they read her words; they both then replied to her, as follows:

@carolinefo You said it, @52betty. I just looked away for a moment, and he snatched the morning away right from under my nose.

@richardethics The little bugger’s been round here and pinched most of mine, too, @52betty.

Back in Whitstable Betty laughed, and tweeted again:

@52Betty Do you think the 3 of us should start the Official Twitter Procrastinators Club, @carolinefo and @richardethics?

And that was the moment, the precise instant, when R and I appeared on each other’s timelines, and became aware of each other’s existence for the first time. We owe it all to Twitter and to @52Betty, long may she thrive and prosper.

Whenever anyone asks me how R and I met, I never hesitate, stumble, blush or dissemble; I never look shifty and evasive, or mutter something vague about how we were introduced by a mutual friend.

No, I say it loud and sing it proud:

We met on Twitter, actually – during a discussion about procrastination.’

 
 
nb The @richardethics Twitter account is no longer extant; R tweets now with a different Twitter name.
 

9 comments:

  1. Ah, what a sweet interlude to hear, especially with you in your pink cap and us over here keeping the wood fires stoked, still in states of disbelief that winter came again. And damn, I can't think of a single thing here to gloat about to send a tinge of jealousy your way other than my wine rack is full of lovely dry reds. If you were here rather than where your heart has taken you, you'd have an invitation to be over here this afternoon decorating Christmas cookies! Hugsto you my dear, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but think how much weight I'm losing by NOT drinking red wine - I'm going to do a post about that! I can't tell you much I would like to be round at your house decorating the Christmas cookies today, though... and sitting by your soba.

    I do miss having a proper fire, at this time of year.

    p.s. Did you notice I wrote about you, the other day? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline you owe me six boxes of tissues, so far!
    *sobs again*

    Isn't twitter a wonderful thing?

    I'm sure the red wine will smell and taste good sometime soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, twitter is a very wonderful thing! Am looking forward to introducing you to R at the next twitter 'do' x

      Delete
  4. I love hearing this story. I had wondered why no "blogs" from the Camel Barn..Now I
    understand... hmmmm thinking of getting a Twitter account, but don't know that many people! Texting will have to do for me!. cheers to you and R!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you x Yes, meeting R (and a few other things happening) pretty much did for the Camel Barn Library blog - although I may make some more posts on it in due course, once the Chemo extravaganza is over.

      Delete
  5. I love that. How wonderful that procrastination can bring people together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just think, had either of you actually been productive that day, you'd probably never have met!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Louise @glenn - Yes! it just goes to show that 'wasting' time can be productive in entirely unexpected ways..

    ReplyDelete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.