Monday, December 24, 2012

Sleepless in Hammersmith

Day 15
 
General status update
Hair: Seems to be falling out less than usual, if anything. Am beginning to wonder if the follicles are still in shock from the chemo; perhaps when they finally wake up, the whole lot will just all fall out at once. This is pretty much what happened to one of my virtual ‘Starting Chemo in December’ Buddies, who started a week before me – she was devastated. She didn’t do the cold cap, though.
Nausea demon: Still doing his stuff – If I slip up and leave too long between doses of the anti-emetic drugs, he’s like a cat waiting to pounce.
Chemo Muse: she defeated sleep almost entirely for 2 weeks, but now sleep is starting to fight back.
Sleep, lack of: Now chronically sleep-deprived, and not functioning very well, after several nights of going to bed at 3 or 4 am – this is going to be remedied tonight by a dose of Lorazepam, Morpheus’s chosen pharmaceutical. Unfortunately, this will mean a very groggy Christmas Day, but it can’t be helped: I MUST get some sleep.
Anxiety level (1-10): too tired to be anxious, but if I weren’t I’d be very anxious about being so tired.
State of mind: I just want to lie down in my Hobbit-hole and go to sleep for a very, very long time.

 
Since I started this blog on the day before my first dose of chemo two weeks ago, I have published a post every day, and written some 15,000 words, including this post, which is half as long again as my MSc dissertation; at this rate, by the time I finish chemo the total word count will approximate that of a D.Phil thesis.  The blog has now had about 4,500 hits, and has readers in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Turkey, Spain, France, Ireland, Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, India, South Africa and the Cayman Islands, as well as the UK.
 
 It’s been a busy couple of weeks, no?

There is no such a thing as a free lunch, and the downside of the manic mental energy I have been experiencing over the last 2 weeks is an inability to sleep; after many wakeful nights I am so exhausted that it is quite hard right at this minute to focus my mind long enough to write coherent sentences.  Today has been a sofa day, pretty much, but I have been too tired even to read. So a proper blog post is not really on the cards and besides, I have been ordered by the powers that be to get some rest before I collapse completely.

I have 7 days left before I go back to the hospital for the next dose of the chemo - or FEC 2, as it's known in the trade - and then they'll be giving me more steroids, and the whole thing hyperactivity will start all over again. I MUST get some rest, slow down and become more functional before we have to start the chemo cycle all over again.
 
So in a minute I’m going to go and lie down, but I’ll leave you with a interesting historical artefact from the Fo photographic archive:
 
 
This one was not posed by a model; the girl on the left is - or was, once upon a time - actually me.
 

It's hard now to believe that I was ever that young...
 
We made it to the quarter finals of University Challenge and yes, Bamber Gascoigne was delightful.

6 comments:

  1. Poor girl on the right. I hope she married and changed to her husband's surname!
    Have as good a Xmas as you can. Hopefully a day of total rest and sleep. Thinking of you and sending cyber wishes for the Lorezepam to knock you out cold. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough,I believe she did indeed marry very soon after graduation, and took her husband's name!

      And yes, the Lorzepam did the trick, and I spent a large part of Xmas day asleep - it was lovely.

      Delete
  2. St Anne's! My son is currently at St Anne's and loving it. My best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer at her first mammogram about a year ago. Your story is uncannily like hers. Her hair is growing back now and her fingers are not numb any more and she can enjoy tea and chocolate again. Hopefully by next Christmas, this will all be behind you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St. Anne's is a very fine institution indeed, if lacking the architectural glamour of some of the more ancient Oxford colleges, and is also the alma mater of Helen Fielding (of Bridget Jones fame), Libby Purves, Edwina Curry and, best of all, Bridget Rose Dugdale, the legendary IRA terrorist who got sent to prison in the 1970s for some daft escapade involving try to steal Old Masters from somewhere, if I remember correctly.

      I graduated in the last year before they started admitting men, and I still find it very strange that it is a rowing college, with lots of blokes lurking about!

      Very cheering news about your friend - Thank you x

      Delete
  3. Clout and Wankling -- sounds like a law office!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we may lay claim to being perhaps the most unfortunately named University Challenge team in history - when R saw the names of the team members he burst out laughing, and then went round giggling to himself for the
    few hours. R is 43 years old, and a professor of Philosophy.
    To be fair, the name 'Wankling' does have connotations of something very rude in British English'

    ReplyDelete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.