Tuesday, December 11, 2012

What's love got to do with it?

Day Two

General status update:
Side effects: none as yet, but check back this evening
Hair: still attached (see above)
Anxiety level (scale of 1-10): has expanded into a huge Black Hole, and is threatening to swallow up the Entire Universe.
State of mind: On standby - retreated into protective self-induced coma
 


What’s love got to do with it?
 
EVERYTHING.

Love came to find me, quite unexpectedly, in my remote Aegean idyll.

 Love, via the unlikely medium of Twitter, came knocking at the door of the Camel Barn Library, and refused to go away. 

Love dragged me back to London, kicking and screaming, and deposited me in a mansion block in Hammersmith. 
 
And Love took a Very Dim View Indeed when the Grim Reaper came to call, and I expressed my intention of going off meekly into the sunset, hand in hand with the tall skinny dude with the black hood and the HUMONGOUS scythe. 
 
Love wasn’t having ANY OF IT. 

Love said ‘You are DOING THE CHEMO. You have a responsibility to me, now. You are going to do whatever it takes to increase your chances of staying here, and growing old with me. The chemo will be horrible, but it won’t kill you – but if the cancer comes back, it almost certainly will. GET A GRIP’. 
Love, unfortunately, has an override function: passion trumps reason, every time.


T’was ever thus.


Love has got a lot to bloody well answer for, in my opinion.

 
 



10 comments:

  1. So sorry that you are no longer in a position to write those wonderful posts from the Camel Barn Library. But I'm glad that Love knocked on the door and will now support you on this difficult journey. I wish you all the very best and will stay with you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you R, for saying the difficult things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe 'Caroline, I need you to be brave now' was the opening shot

      :))

      Delete
  3. Welcome back, Caroline. You are welcome in our home under any of your interesting circumstances. Love, Janet and Manny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, and thank you! Still hoping to get to Ayvalik again in May to meet you - fingers crossed xx

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh love. Cliche as it may sound, Love conquers all. Caroline 1-Cancer 0. So glad to hear no side effects and hair still attached. I'm rooting for you! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly helping a lot so far, that's for sure. Thanks! xx

      Delete
  5. I love what you have written above Caroline. Quite fantastic. As are you. Take good care Astrid xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Astrid - hope to be out on the razzle with you guys again before too long. xx

      Delete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.