Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Coming Attraction: The Rat Apocalypse


Day 10

General status update:
 
Hair: still attached, but it’s starting to look a bit worried.
Nausea Demon:Confined to his room until the next dose of Chemo on Jan 2nd, and very unhappy about that; he is thinking about signing up for an OU distance learning course to use his down time productively.
Enhanced sense of smell: It has been suggested to me that I should take advantage of this new super-power, and hire myself out as a truffle hunter. I may go and test this out amongst the trees at Kew.Must be some truffles there.
Anxiety level (1-10): I just looove sedatives.Why don’t they just sedate you for the whole 100days? It would be so much easier on everyone.
State of mind:  Fragmented. Of which more later.

 
The first week of my first chemo cycle has been one of exhausting, distressing  and unremitting horribleness, as those of you who are by now regular readers will already know; you might expect to find me today, then, lying on the sofa, having a little weep and feeling very, very sorry for myself.

Wrong.

I have absolutely no time available to lie around feeling sorry for myself, because I am far too busy feeling sorry for my older sister, aka BigSisFo, who, whilst I have been trudging wearily through the foothills of the Chemo Mountain, has been experiencing something far, far worse:

The North Yorkshire Rat Apocalypse. 

The story of the North Yorkshire Rat Apocalypse is one so horrifying, so terrifying, so gut-wrenching in every visceral sense of that expression, that I must do it justice; it would be to diminish BigSisFo's very real suffering were I not to transmit to you the story in properly detailed fashion and that cannot, sadly, be accomplished by the end of today.

This post is, therefore, by way of a trailer for tomorrow’s big attraction: 
 

The North Yorkshire Rat Apocalypse

‘A spooky old house – a cold dark night – the storm of the century, with the river about to flood  - a woman alone, but for her faithful though demented crack-crazed hound – and an ARMY of GIANT BLACK RATS, seeking shelter from the storm.’
 

 This is a story guaranteed to make you feel better about your own circumstances, however wretched they may be  - be sure to log on about this time tomorrow night…

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. ooooh, I can't wait! It will be a welcome distraction on the night before my induction...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I was thinking it was about time the LM made herfirst appearance - will keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ps For a nanosecond there, I was thinking 'Induction? Induction into what? Some kind of Hall of Hocam Fame, perhaps?'

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have a gift of gab .Very interesting blogs though I wwish U should not suffer so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that you, Baris? The prose style seems familiar from long,long ago... :)

      Delete
    2. No not Baris but anon .

      Delete
  4. Your sister's Rat "situation" came just in the nick of time to distract from reflecting too much on the trials you have been through-you will be ready for the next round-and Nausea can go to hell!

    ReplyDelete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.