Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Keeping the home fires burning...

Day 17

General status update

Hair: No change
Nausea demon: Apparently, he has ISSUES (according to the Chemo Muse, who is the only person he talks to, now that he has stopped talking to me). But she won’t tell me what they are, and he’s not talking to me. Excellent..
Chemo Muse: Also getting a bit stroppy, now that I keep knocking her out with Lorazepam. She regards this as thoroughly unsporting behaviour. 
Sleep, lack of: Slowly being remedied – hope to catch up before the second chemo cycle starts next week. 
Anxiety level (1-10): Anxiety suspended for the Christmas Holiday. 
State of mind: Christmassy, and happy; happy Christmassy, even.
 
For family reasons today, rather than yesterday, was deemed Christmas Day for R and me here in Gurkha Towers... 

We live in a flat in an old mansion block in Hammersmith, the security staff of which consists entirely of ex-members of the Brigade of Gurhkas who, as any fule know, are some of the world's most fearsome warriors.  I cannot tell you how thrilled I was when, shortly after moving into R's flat, I remarked upon the fact that all the guys on the desk seemed to be Korean, and wondered why that should be, and R told me that they were in fact Nepalese, and ex-Gurhkas to a man. Yes, we are guarded 24 hours a day by trained killers - how good is that? It's rumoured that they have a shrine to Joanna Lumley somewhere in the basement, but that may just be an urban myth.

... and hence was also deemed a Blog Holiday, as we had other, Christmassy things to do. So I will just leave you with a few images of my life, as it was two years ago, and as it is now.

Aegean winters can be quite cold, and wood is by far the cheapest fuel, usually burned in sobas - wood burning stoves. In Ayvalik, where I lived, the wood was delivered by the ton - by horse and cart. I would go to the wood yard, pay for the wood, wait while it was loaded, then lead the woodman and his horse and cart back through the labyrinth of narrow cobbled streets to the Camel Barn.


 

The wood was then stacked in a neat pile in the courtyard, usually with the help of some  little boys living nearby who, mysteriously, seemed to love carrying bits of wood about above all other things..
 

 
Inside the camel barn is a big open fireplace topped by an enormous seven metre high rhomboid chimney, constructed by an excellent Kurdish stonemason called Apo, when the barn was being restored. And through the cold months of January and February I would make a big log fire every night,
 
 

 much to the delight of my dog Freddie, and cats Flossie, Layla and Ollie.
 


  At the other end of the barn, which is about 10 metres long, I installed a big cast-iron 'soba', much more fuel-efficient than the open fire, under which Ollie loved to lie:


 
Now that I’m living back in London again, on the fourth floor of a block of flats, in a smokeless zone, log fires are no longer an option. I miss them enormously. However, the other day I found a really nifty substitute, outrageously kitsch, in quite atrocious taste, no doubt, but I really couldn’t give a monkey’s – this DVD was one of the things R found in his Christmas stocking this morning, but if I’m honest, I really bought it for me:
 

 

It’s silly, but it’s lovely, and psychologically calming (it even has a sound track of authentic log fire spitting and crackling noises), and it takes me back to my Camel Barn, which I won’t be able to visit again in reality for some time (nb Freddie and the cats are still in residence, being looked after by friends who are Camel Barn- and animal-sitting on a long term basis).

Belatedly, I’d like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas – thank you for reading the blog, and I hope you’ll continue to do so over the next few months, until the chemo is finally done.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy it was a "Merry Christmas" ... state of mind! Thank you for posting pictures of the Camel Barn.. The first thing I wanted to do when I found your Camel Barn Blog was to come visit you. Even fantasized of moving to Ayvalık. Took a Google Earth peek of whole town! Had been there for couple days (one a day trip on a boat) in the fall of '96 with some friends on our own private 3 week tour of Turkey... Where a love of Turkey started... a person and the country plus the food! Love the "screen saver" fireplace.. will look for one, as I am sans fireplace too.. hugs , vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. My beasts would get into the soba if they could. If you'd like, I can send a bucket of ashes to go with the burning DVD...Your writing is such a gift to so many - thank you. As Noel Baba comes here for New Year's, it's not too late to wish you happy holidays, complete with hugs from me and regards from the furry critters, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that your writing is a gift... and we would LOVE to see more of the insides of the Camel Barn! *hint hint* I suppose the DVD track is better than a real wood fire as far as Father Christmas is concerned.

    ReplyDelete

Am moderating comments, so please bear with me - I will publish your comment as soon as I can.